About Daniel Sroka
Photography and computers have part of my life since I was young. I grew up with cameras around the house, and my childhood desk was an old enlarger my father made. I spent many days working in our basement darkroom, listening to the floorboards creak overhead. When I was 12, I earned my first computer by scraping a hundred years of paint off my uncle's house. I wanted to use it to make art, but this was the late 70s, so if you wanted a program you had to write it yourself. Since no one told me how hard that would be, I taught myself to code, and created my own painting software.
My talent with art and computers helped me pay my way through college, and lead me to my first career as a graphic designer. I started at a mom-and-pop print shop and worked my way up from job to job. I eventually became the original creative director for Yahoo!, where I helped transform them from a quirky curiosity into a globally-recognized brand.
But I grew tired of working to help other people achieve their dreams, while ignoring my own. So after a lot of thought, I quit my corporate career, and turned my attention back towards my original love — photography. I have now spent over a decade carefully developing my unique and intensely personal style of nature art. I have been able to use my years of experience in design and marketing to launch my art career, as well as run a successful internet business inspired by my art.
Something caught my eye on the path to Cape Point (Africa), 2000.
where you might see my art
- AtlantiCare Cancer Care Institute, New Jersey
- AtlantiCare Physician Group, New Jersey
- The Woodlands Resort, Houston
- Hyatt Regency Windwatch, Long Island
- The Quin Hotel, New York
- Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, Tucson
- Four Seasons, Washington, DC
- LAX Hilton Hotel, Los Angeles
- Many private residences
- My fine art ketubahs are in the homes of over 1,400 couples worldwide
some of my shows and exhibitions
- 2014 - Group show, Miami International Airport, Embler Gallery
- 2014 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2014, Cincinnati, OH
- 2014 - Group show, Zufall Health Center, Dover, NJ
- 2014 - Group Show, Abstractions, New Jersey Photo Forum
- 2013 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2013, publishing award recipient, Cincinnati, OH
- 2013 - Group show, Rites of Spring, 14 Maple Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2013 - Exhibit at International Artexpo New York
- 2012 - Solo show, Simon Cancer Center at Overlook Medical Center (Atlantic Health), Summit, NJ
- 2012 - Group show, Elements of Art: Texture, Still Point Gallery
- 2012 - Exhibit at International Artexpo New York
- 2011 - 5th Photography Masters Cup, nominee in both the Abstract and Fine Art categories
- 2011 - Exhibit at International Artexpo New York, selected as one of the Top Ten Solo Artists
- 2010 - Artist in residence, Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, Tucson
- 2010 - 4th Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the Abstract category
- 2010 - Group show, 40th Anniversary Alumni Art Exhibition, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA
- 2010 - Group show, Geometric Abstraction, Still Point Gallery
- 2010 - Group show, Emerging Patterns, 14 Maple Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2009 - Group show, Autumnal Tints, Still Point Gallery
- 2009 - Group show, Contemporary Abstract Photography, Art Way Gallery, Princeton, NJ
- 2009 - Group show, Chromatics, Art Upstairs Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2009 - 3rd Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the Abstract category
- 2008 - Group show, Typologies, Fraction Magazine
- 2008 - Group show, Elemental/Environmental: Space, New Orleans Photo Alliance.
- 2008 - Prix de la Photographie Paris (Px3), third place in Nature category
- 2007 - Featured artist, Area of Design and Positive Focus online art magazines
- 2007 - Group show, Arcadia: Artists Celebrate Trees, California Modern Gallery (San Francisco)
- 2004 - Solo show, The Main Gallery (Redwood City, CA)
what other artists say about my art
- I can look at this art forever and always see one more thing. It's my favorite kind of meditation. - Gail Steinberg
- It's so beautiful it actually gave me goose pimples! - Laura Cowan Design
- Your photography is magical + dreamy. - @UrbanDecorSue
- Daniel Sroka makes the everyday aspects of nature larger than life. By focusing on the tiny details of seed pods, leaves, twigs and petals, he draws our attention to their hidden beauty. - @kirstymhall
- ...these hauntingly beautiful and elegant photographs... - @cynthiaisgr8
- Love that you photograph dying things to bring them back to life in another dimension. - @joanie_s_c
- Your work reminds me of outer space. It's like the view from the Enterprise's window. - @wtek
- It's so amazing how you can get so much emotion and movement out of something so ordinary. - Wendy Edsall-Kerwin
- Your work is an exquisite expression of abstraction in nature! It is magical, sensuous, luminous, accessible. - @lizamyers
- Las fotos del verano absolutamente hermosas! Un deleite visual. - Julia M.
- You're really taking the botanical photo into new directions. - Lynn Basa
Other things about me
- I am a board member and committe chairman for Morris Arts, whose mission is to build community through the arts in Morris County, New Jersey.
- I graduated from Hampshire College in 1989, where I did advanced study on the connections between symbols and language, the use of metaphor, and the development of visual language skills in children.