About Daniel Sroka
Photography and computers have part of my life since I was young. I grew up with cameras around the house, and my childhood desk was an old enlarger my father made. I spent many days working in our basement darkroom, listening to the floorboards creak overhead. When I was 12, I earned my first computer by scraping a hundred years of paint off my uncle's house. I wanted to use it to make art, but this was the late 70s, so if you wanted a program you had to write it yourself. No one told me how hard that would be, so I taught myself to code, and created my own painting software.
My talent with art and computers helped me pay my way through college, and lead me to my first career as a graphic designer. I started at a mom-and-pop print shop and worked my way up from job to job. I eventually became the original creative director for Yahoo!, where I helped transform them from a quirky curiosity into a globally-recognized brand.
But I grew tired of working to help other people achieve their dreams, while ignoring my own. So after a lot of thought, I quit my corporate career, and turned my attention back towards my original love — photography. I have now spent over a decade carefully developing my unique and intensely personal style of nature art. I have been able to use my years of experience in design and marketing to launch my art career, as well as run a successful internet business inspired by my art.
shows and exhibitions
- 2014 - Inaugural Show, 70 South Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2014 - Group show, Art of the New Jersey Highlands, Highlands Festival at Waterloo, NJ
- 2014 - Group show, NJ350 Elements: Celebrating New Jersey's 350th anniversary, Duke Farms, NJ
- 2014 - Group show, Miami International Airport, Embler Gallery
- 2014 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2014, Cincinnati, OH
- 2014 - Group show, Zufall Health Center, Dover, NJ
- 2014 - Group Show, Abstractions, New Jersey Photo Forum
- 2013 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2013, publishing award recipient, Cincinnati, OH
- 2013 - Group show, Rites of Spring, 14 Maple Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2013 - 6th annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the abstract category
- 2013 - Plywerk Featured Artist
- 2013 - Exhibited at International Artexpo New York
My booth at Artexpo New York 2013.
- 2012 - Solo show, Simon Cancer Center at Overlook Medical Center (Atlantic Health), Summit, NJ
- 2012 - Group show, Elements of Art: Texture, Still Point Gallery
- 2012 - Exhibited at Morristown Art Walk
- 2012 - Exhibited at International Artexpo New York
- 2011 - 5th annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in both the Abstract and Fine Art categories
- 2011 - Exhibited at International Artexpo New York, awarded Top Ten Solo Artists
- 2010 - Artist in residence, Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, Tucson
- 2010 - 4th annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the Abstract category
- 2010 - Group show, 40th Anniversary Alumni Art Exhibition, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA
- 2010 - Group show, Geometric Abstraction, Still Point Gallery
- 2010 - Group show, Emerging Patterns, 14 Maple Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2009 - Solo show, Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, Tucson
- 2009 - Group show, Autumnal Tints, Still Point Gallery
- 2009 - Group show, Contemporary Abstract Photography, Art Way Gallery, Princeton, NJ
- 2009 - Group show, Chromatics, Art Upstairs Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2009 - 3rd annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the Abstract category
- 2008 - Group show, Typologies, Fraction Magazine
- 2008 - Group show, Elemental/Environmental: Space, New Orleans Photo Alliance.
- 2008 - Prix de la Photographie Paris (Px3), third place in Nature category
- 2007 - Featured artist, Area of Design and Positive Focus online art magazines
- 2007 - Group show, Arcadia: Artists Celebrate Trees, California Modern Gallery, San Francisco
- 2004 - Solo show, The Main Gallery, Redwood City, CA
- 2004 - Group show, Visions of Memory, The Main Gallery, Redwood City, CA
- 2003 - Group show, Garden of Earthly Delights, The Main Gallery, Redwood City, CA
Solo show, The Main Gallery, 2004.
press and other news
- 2015 Jan - Awarded Best of Houzz 2014 for Customer Service
- 2014 Jun - Featured artist on JerseyArts.com.
- 2013 Aug - Featured artist on the Plywerk blog.
- 2010 Dec - Judged the First Night Morris County Photo Competition (largest First Night in New Jersey).
- 2010 Jan - I celebrated my 1,000th customer for my fine art ketubot, based on my photography.
- 2009 Aug - Profiled for the Artists and their Influences series by Lisa Pressman.
- 2009 Aug - Profiled in MMCA Marketplace.
- 2009 Jul - Profiled by Wendy Edsall-Kerwin as Hammermarks' July Artist of the Month.
- 2007 Sep - Featured photographer on Positive Focus, a Brooklyn-based center for emerging photoartists.
- 2007 Sep - Featured artist on Area of Design, a showcase for emerging artists.
Other things about me
- I am a board member and committe chair for Morris Arts, whose mission is to use the arts to build our local community.
- I graduated from Hampshire College in 1989, where I did advanced study on the connections between symbols and language, the use of metaphor, and the development of visual language skills in children.