More About Daniel Sroka
I began experimenting with leaves when my wife and I started our family. With young and growing kids, I needed a project I could work on whenever I found a free moment, and just as easily walk away from if the kids needed me. The perfect solution was right at my feet. Fallen leaves are everywhere in our suburban neighborhood. They are so common, and yet, every leaf has a unique and complex character. And best of all, they aren't bothered by frequent interruptions.
I believe this daily chaos of raising a family actually helped me become a better artist. It forced me to slow down my pace, and become more thoughtful about my process. Every time I returned to the camera was an opportunity to revisit my assumptions and discover new possibilities. What started as a simple and convenient art project turned into my life's work. I discovered that every leaf can be an endless source of inspiration. I'll spend hours, days, or sometimes even months working with a single leaf, exploring it from every possible perspective.
After studying language and cognition in college, I began my career as a graphic designer. Starting at a rural print shop, I quickly advanced my way through the profession, becoming the original creative director for Yahoo!. Throughout the pioneering days of the internet, I helped transform them from a quirky start-up into a globally-recognized brand. However, I grew tired of working on the dreams of others, so I decided to focus my career on my own creative efforts. I used my experience in design and marketing to launch my art career as well as a successful online business inspired by my art. My art has since been purchased by private collectors as well as distinctive resorts, spas, restaurants, and wellness offices around the world.
shows and exhibitions
- 2018 - Solo show, Grant Avenue Gallery, Axelrod Performing Arts Center, Deal, NJ
- 2017 - Solo show, Grandis Blatt Gallery, Morristown, NJ
- 2017 - Solo show, part of New Jersey Emerging Artist Series, Monmouth Museum, Red Bank, NJ
- 2016 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2016, Cincinnati, OH
- 2016 - Group show, Summertime/Verano, Zufall Health Center, Dover, NJ
My solo show at the Glandis Blatt Gallery, Morristown, NJ 2017.
- 2016 - Exhibited at Artexpo New York
- 2015 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2015, purchase award recipient, Cincinnati, OH
- 2014 - Inaugural Show, 70 South Gallery, Morristown, New Jersey
- 2014 - Group show, Art of the New Jersey Highlands, Highlands Festival at Waterloo, New Jersey
- 2014 - Group show, NJ350 Elements: Celebrating New Jersey's 350th anniversary, Duke Farms, New Jersey
- 2014 - Group show, Embler Gallery, Miami, FL
- 2014 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2014, Cincinnati, OH
- 2014 - Group show, Zufall Health Center, Dover, New Jersey
- 2014 - Group Show, Abstractions, New Jersey Photo Forum
- 2013 - Group show, Art Comes Alive 2013, publishing award recipient, Cincinnati, OH
- 2013 - Group show, Rites of Spring, 14 Maple Gallery, Morristown, New Jersey
- 2013 - 6th annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the abstract category
- 2013 - Exhibited at Artexpo New York
- 2012 - Group show, Simon Cancer Center at Overlook Medical Center (Atlantic Health), Summit, New Jersey
- 2012 - Group show, Elements of Art: Texture, Still Point Gallery
- 2012 - Exhibited at Morristown Art Walk
- 2012 - Exhibited at Artexpo New York
- 2011 - 5th annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in both the Abstract and Fine Art categories
My solo show at Monmouth Museum 2017.
- 2011 - Exhibited at Artexpo New York
- 2010 - Artist in residence, Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, Tucson
- 2010 - 4th annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the Abstract category
- 2010 - Group show, 40th Anniversary Alumni Art Exhibition, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA
- 2010 - Group show, Geometric Abstraction, Still Point Gallery
- 2010 - Group show, Emerging Patterns, 14 Maple Gallery, Morristown, New Jersey
- 2009 - Solo show, Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, Tucson
- 2009 - Group show, Autumnal Tints, Still Point Gallery
- 2009 - Group show, Contemporary Abstract Photography, Art Way Gallery, Princeton, New Jersey
- 2009 - Group show, Chromatics, Art Upstairs Gallery, Morristown, New Jersey
- 2009 - 3rd annual Photography Masters Cup, nominee in the Abstract category
- 2008 - Group show, Typologies, Fraction Magazine
- 2008 - Group show, Elemental/Environmental: Space, New Orleans Photo Alliance.
- 2008 - Prix de la Photographie Paris (Px3), third place in Nature category
- 2007 - Group show, Arcadia: Artists Celebrate Trees, California Modern Gallery, San Francisco
- 2004 - Solo show, The Main Gallery, Redwood City, CA
- 2004 - Group show, Visions of Memory, The Main Gallery, Redwood City, CA
- 2003 - Group show, Garden of Earthly Delights, The Main Gallery, Redwood City, CA
A few other things about me
- I have created fine art wedding ketubahs from my photographs for over 1,400 couples.
- I am a board member and committe chair for Morris Arts, the arts commission for Morris County and northern NJ.
- I graduated from Hampshire College in 1989, where I did advanced study on the connections between symbols and language, the cognition of metaphor, and the development of visual language.
- I serve on Hampshire College's Alumni Advisory board.